Monday, January 19, 2009

It's the little things....


I woke up Saturday morning to NO WATER. It was pretty cold the prior night, zero degrees. After the water trickled a little, it sputtered and then just died. No toilets either. I realized after talking to the neighbor that calling the water company would do no good. I had to call the plumber. I got one on the phone around 10:00 a.m. during Jimmy's taekwondo class. He said that he had 4 people in front of me so it would be a while. I could wait. Or could I??? NO toilets!

Finally I took matters in my own hands. Down to the crawl space I went, inspecting pipes and trying not to trip on the Christmas boxes around me. No leaks there. I still blow-dried everthing to make sure. The cats all rallied around me as they love going into the crawl space to sniff around.

Finally I checked our water purifier which is in the garage. I shook the plastic pipes and felt a slushy "crunch"....BINGO! I blow-dried them (or is it "blew-dried"???) and after an hour the plumber called me (by now it's nightime). As I spoke to him, I heard the familiar sound of water! I could proudly tell him that his services were no longer needed. I think he was relieved as he had 8 people after me!

Not having water for a day helped me realize that we are so fortunate. Many people around the world still have to go to a pump or to a well to get their water. And that water is filthy. People in India use water that is used as a giant bathtub for people and animals. So I really thanked the Lord for His goodness to us as I got under the warm covers that night after a long hot shower.

No comments: