Saturday, January 31, 2009

H-O-P-E




It seems that "Hope" is the new word. The new catch-phrase. The new political attitude that has come to shine in Washington. I have heard these statements quite commonly:

"Hope for a better tomorrow"
"Hope for new jobs"
"Hope for a better economy"
"I hope you feel better"
"I hope things work out for you"

You've probably heard and even said these things too! I have.

Hope is thrown around a lot, but I wonder if people realize what hope really is. According to the dictionary it is simply a "wish for better things". A wish. We know how powerful wishes are. They shine like a coin but are lost in the darkness as we drop them in the well of hope. We never seem to see them again.

Have any of your birthday-cake wishes come true???
****************************************************

As I look at Scriptures, I find out what hope really is.

"HOPE thou in God, for I shall yet praise Him". Psalm 42:11

"Which is Christ in you, the HOPE of glory" Colossians 1:27

"Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who HOPE in the Lord" Psalm 31:24

"Happy is he that has the God of Jacob for his help, whose HOPE is in the LORD his God" Psalm 146:5

*******************************************************

See a pattern? True hope isn't hope for something......it's hope IN SOMEONE.

Hoping for a better tomorrow is like reaching for a star. You will never touch it even though you aimed for it.

Hope is like a rope. If you drop a rope into the water, that rope will simply float. Your boat will drift. With God as your hope, you have an anchor on the end of that rope. You see, a hope with no direct object is useless!

Yet we say "hope" over and over, thinking, yes, "HOPING" that something good will come if we say it often enough.

God encourages us to put hope in Him and in His promises. He always provides when our hope is connected TO Him.


I will think twice before I say, "I hope you do well". Instead of saying such a trivial thing, I will lead the person to the God of hope, rather than hope itself.

Our land needs hope desperately; yet they are looking for it in policies, presidents, laws, and dollars. The everlasting hope is found in the Creator of heaven and earth. All we need to do is receive it.

No comments: